Friday 16 November 2007

Week 6

Lots about printing and of course this week our printer decides to catch a cold and die! So I've read the theory but not really got much further...still there's time once the CMA is out of the way.

The assignment, fortunately, was a printer-free zone.

Take five photos that form a set linked in some way, for example in technique (e.g. motion blur, macro, small depth of field), colour theme (e.g. reds, natural colours, cool colours), or subject (e.g. portraits, landscapes, still life). Upload the photos to OpenStudio. Can you spot the linking theme on other students’ sets?

I chose to practice my portraiture which has been a bit weak to date. By the time I'd taken hundreds of shots of my poor, long-suffering husband and son I was feeling much more confident. I even managed to snap one of my dad who is notoriously difficult to photograph.



Asleep in the Firelight

The only illumination was the open fire. I used the camera on manual but because of the low illumination I set it on a conveniently placed coffee table and used the self timer. I love the glowing effect.



Father and Son 2

Taken on a train. The chaps were having a cuddly moment so I fired off some shots. This was the only useable one but I'm happy with that...one good one is all you need.

Evening Dip

This was highly experinmental. The light in the swimming pool was terrible so I used 1600 ISO hence there is a lot of noise. However, it does have something. I really like the composition for one thing. The colour of the pool and the over all colour cast somehow give and aged 70s feel to the photo.

Dad

Never an easy subject my dad. He does have a lovely face though and I'm hoping to get a better portrait than this in the near future. I love his expression but the background is a little distracting.

Train Journey through the Rain

This is my personal favourite for two reasons. First, my son has a particular look when he's thinking or concentrating. he sort of puckers his bottom lip. I've tried before to capture that look but never managed it. This is the first time I've been successful. Second, I was deliberately aiming for a 'rule of thirds' shot to best showcase the contrast between the dark and the photo does exactly what I set out to do. I was a happy bunny when I saw the result.

1 comment:

Guy Platt said...

That's a beautiful image. I really like how mothers are so aware of their children's expressions. It has taken me a long time as a Dad to realize that I missed these signs.