Monday 15 October 2007

Week 3

This is about Exposure and it's all very interesting. After years of point, shoot and hope, the idea that I can actually control some of this stuff is quite intoxicating, especially to a control-freak like me.


Having read through Session 3 for the first time I now feel ready to make a start on the assignment which reads:


Capture and share five well exposed images from at least three of the following categories of varied and challenging lighting conditions:Creative motion blur in low or normal light conditions (e.g. walking, cycling, cars, sugar falling from a spoon, running water, car lights after dark). For this task you will need to steady your camera by either resting it on something or using a tripod. Avoid camera shake.Low light high speed (high ISO) still photography (e.g. moonlight, street lights). This can be hand-held if the shutter speed is fast enough or using a tripod or other camera support as appropriate. Avoid camera shake. High contrast photography (bright indoor lights or bright daylight or highly reflective subjects)


Unfortunately, unhooked from my precious automatic settings, I have 'control' only in the loosest sense of the word. Most of my initial shots are out of focus, over exposed, under exposed or just plain pants.


I therefore throw a tantrum worthy of my four-year-old and declare that the OU is a waste of money and I'm giving up...right now.


Fortunately, my other half has been through this early stage of an OU course before and, as with my four-year-old, he knows it's just a phase I'm going through and that I'll grow out of it given time, patience and a spell on the naughty step.


Eventually I calm down enough to have another go. I drag my long-suffering son to the park in search of 'motion'. His eyes light up at the sight of a Zip slide and I tell him that he can have as many goes as he wants, as long as he tries to point himself in my direction as he whizzes past.


He's up to the challenge and gamely makes fly-by after fly-by while I fiddle and faff and generally makes a dog's breakfast of every shot. Finally he zooms by and I manage to catch him...perfect.


'Hooray!' I yell.


'Brilliant,' he says, 'Please can I go on something else now mummy 'cause my bum is getting sore.'


Watching my husband playing in the sandpit (yes I know he's 39 but boys will be boys) I have an idea. I get him to trickle sand through his fingers while I try to catch the motion. Thirty shots later I have a couple of usable ones. Return home, marvelling at how patient my family are and vowing to bake a big chocolate cake for them...as soon as I've uploaded the shots...

Wheeeeeeeeee!


Sand Slipping through Fingers


Concentrating


Boy in Forest


Berries after a Shower








No comments: